Optical underwater distance measurement
|Supervisor:||Horst Hellbrück , Martin Mackenberg|
Approaches for communication and distance measurements, which are commonly employed in air, fail in underwater scenarios. This is due to the challenging channel characteristics of water. Acoustic technologies are severely limited by bandwidth and multipath propagation. Approaches utilizing optical technologies prove promising for applications over short distances.
The goal of this project is the implementation and evaluation of an optical underwater distance measurement. This includes the design and implementation of a suitable hardware. There is preliminary work available.
- Research on methods of distance measurements
- Design and implementation of hardware for optical underwater communication and distance measurement
- Implementation and evaluation of a distance measurement
- Experience in hardware design is advantageous
- Knowledge of C/C++
- Ability to learn and work in a new and complex areas
- Interest in scientific work
- Independent working