Evaluation of ISM-Radio Band regarding it's Allocation
|Student:||Xia Simin, Yuan Rui|
With the enhanced performance of embedded systems and the progressing miniaturization of hardware (incl. sensors and actors), there are new and innovative systems in the development pipeline. Especially wireless radio technologies offer comfortable and multifunctional opportunities for mobile applications. A particular area which will gain specifically from this is the health care sector. Advanced sensor technologies can significantly improve diagnosis and therapy abilities. Examples are position and movement recognition, patient monitoring and couple of other applications during surgery, intensive care, rehabilitation and assisted living. The objective of the research project SoFT (Self-organizing Radio Frequency Technology) is to achieve coexistence of different radio transmission systems and avoiding interferences, by using software defined radio (SDR). The project develops and investigates a self-organizing cognitive radio as a transceiver. The system is supposed to operate in the ISM radio band and to configure itself (SDR) to the given requirements and priorities by sensing its environment and knowing regulatory rules. Technical target is improving the reliability of future-proofed radio transmission with cognitive radio by ensuring the coexistence of present and future standards. The focus is on modeling and software-architecture as well on developing new algorithms and protocols for cognitive radio.
The work of this student project comprises the evaluation of the frequency allocation in the ISM radio band. The target is to create a detailed summary and comparison of the radio services that are located in the ISM band. Following points are to be achieved during the project:
- Self-teaching about Wireless Radio Technologies with help of literature and internet articles
- Evaluate ISM band allocation. (Investigation can be done by reading, analysis, measurements or simulations)
- Summarize and compare the radio technologies/services observed during the study This student project would be a good preparation for the “Mobile Communications” class in winter semester 09/10.
- A detailed report (at least four pages) with a description of the frequency allocation in the ISM radio band, incl. a comparison table of the corresponding radio technologies.
- The comparison should contain parameters like:
- medium access mechanism
- frequency range
- used network architecture
- data rate
- operating distance
- timing of channel allocation
- transmitting power
- signal strength
- sensitivity regarding interference
- Willingness to learn more about wireless radio technologies and do a (un-)assisted investigation
- Good self-organized working skills